Thursday 4 September 2008

Decrease Boot Time

When you first install Ubuntu, the boot time is great! However, after months and months of installing and removing programs, it can start to lag. Following the steps below will help to reduce your boot time by quite a few seconds!

Before you start, I must say I've only tested these steps in Ubuntu Gusty Gibbon. As always, use caution when issuing any commands with root privileges.

Okay, so to start of, install a cool little application called BootChart.
This will monitor everything that happens when booting your computer up.
It puts everything into a chart for you, so you can see what is taking
the most time to start.

Install BootChart
sudo apt-get install bootchart
Next you ill have to reboot your computer.
Once rebooted, and you are logged in, navigate yourself to: /var/log/bootchart, and in here will be a png image describing how long each process took to boot up.

Ubuntu Hack
Open up the file: /etc/init.d/rc in your favourite text editor.
CONCURRENCY=none
Change the above line to the below line.
CONCURRENCY=shell
Install a Boot Process Adjustment Tool:

sudo apt-get install sysv-rc-conf

Then run the application using:
sudo sysv-rc-conf
(To turn a device of, un-tick all the tick boxes within that row)

What to turn off:
bluez-utiles
Since I do not use any bluetooth tools, I turned this of.
If you use any bluetooth tools on a regular basis, I'd keep this on.

dns-clean
This is used to clean the DNS information when using a Dial-Up connection.
As I do not use Dial-Up, I turned this of. If you are using Dial-Up... Keep it on!

fetchmail
This is a mail receiving daemon. As I only use Hotmail, I turned this off.
hplip
HP printing and Image subsystem. As I do not have any printers ever connected to my
laptop,I turned this off.

mdamd-raid
If you do not use any RAID devices, there is no need for this tool to be turned on.

mdamd
A RAID management tool. Again, I do not use any RAID devices, so I turned this off.

PPP & PPP-DNS
Both of these are useless to me, as I do not use Dial-Up.

Once finished turning of the un-necessary processes, reboot your computer. Once rebooted, take a look at your bootchart which you installed earlier on. Notice the time difference?

If you have any other ways on how to make Ubuntu boot faster, please do share.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete