Friday 5 September 2008

Own Your Own Domain Suffix

I want my own personal website, like a lot of people do.... so I check the whois database, but JamieWard.com had already been taken, as was .net, and .co.uk - bummer.

More then likely, any domain name you want, has already been taken, as Over 20 million '.com' domain names have been registered!

Q: So, with all the best domain names taken up, what are you supposed to do?
A: Wait until May, 2009.

Why? Because come April / May 2009, The Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) have recently approved this proposal allowing you to buy domain suffixes! Great News!

When I say allowing 'You', you have to own a company to be able to buy one. Who knows though, if it proves to be popular and successful, it may become open to the average person to buy one.

Hmm, I'll have the .Jam suffix - Iam.Jam

... images.google.google? Hmm.. may get a bit confusing.

Oh, one last thing I should mention.. the average price for a top level domain, (the suffix) is anywhere between $50,000 - $100,00 (USD). .Google, .Microsoft of course are going to be a high amount more.

No comments:

Post a Comment